Koodo Community
Solved

AIRPORT WIFI

does koodo block certain wifi access like at airports

I used wifi all week while I was away, however, when I was at the Toronto airport and the Gatwick airport in England, I kept getting a message that the site was blocked due to possible security issues. I even hada tech guy look and he couldn't access it.

I have an LG4 phone
icon

Best answer by srlawren 14 February 2019, 00:04

@Koodo Jane what brand and model of phone are you using? I'm guessing it's got some factory- or user-installed software that's interfering and preventing you from accessing a public hotspot. Getting on them can be risky as people can set up their own hotspots that spoof the airport/hotel/coffee shop's WiFi and fool you into thinking it's okay to connect, and then intercepting all the traffic you send over that connection. Guessing you've got some software that's looking for a known list of hotspot names to block.

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
THe block wouldnt be due to Koodo, especially at Gatwick.

Usually for 3rd party wifi, you would be able to connect and there is a sign-on page with the terms.
Yes, I have used wifi for years, and I get a sign in page to agree to their terms and then I have wifi.
For some reason it kept blocking it. I wish I had taken a capture picture of what it actually said but I didn't.
I went into one of the electronic stores in the airport and asked one of them in case it was just user error but he couldn't do it either.

thanks for responding
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Yes, I have used wifi for years, and I get a sign in page to agree to their terms and then I have wifi.
For some reason it kept blocking it. I wish I had taken a capture picture of what it actually said but I didn't.
I went into one of the electronic stores in the airport and asked one of them in case it was just user error but he couldn't do it either.

thanks for responding

So the error was on your sign in page?

Have you tried to connect with other public wifi recently ?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Again it would have nothing to do with Koodo. Youd have to look if there's been similar issues with others at Gatwick. And if you have the same problem with other public access points.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
@Koodo Jane what brand and model of phone are you using? I'm guessing it's got some factory- or user-installed software that's interfering and preventing you from accessing a public hotspot. Getting on them can be risky as people can set up their own hotspots that spoof the airport/hotel/coffee shop's WiFi and fool you into thinking it's okay to connect, and then intercepting all the traffic you send over that connection. Guessing you've got some software that's looking for a known list of hotspot names to block.
Thanks for the info. My phone is an LG4, Android.

I will get someone to look into that for me.