Koodo Community
Solved

Add-on for texting?

I have an older plan that doesn't include unlimited texting, but I want to keep the old plan.

How can I get an add-on for unlimited texting? I don't see one offered, likely because current plans all include unlimited texting already. I do not want to get a new plan. Is there an undocumented plan that does this?

(Texting uses almost zero bandwidth, and costs the mobile telcos virtually nothing once the infrastructure is in place; IMHO unlimited texting should be offered as a courtesy to older plans or as a low-cost add-on.

Thanks.
icon

Best answer by Dennis 13 March 2019, 22:09

Since this change to unlimited texting on all new plans was made many many years ago, the unlimited texting add-on was removed. Right now the only way to get unlimited texting is to switch to a newer plan
View original

28 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I doubt that there is. Best case is is to talk to a rep if it can just be added but I'm gonna give my educated guess as you'd need to switch to a current plan.

(That was always well known but back in the day it was an easy 99.9% profit charge)
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hi,
Are you a postpaid customer? I don't think they have that add-on any more. All new plans include unlimited text (except some data only plan).
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Since this change to unlimited texting on all new plans was made many many years ago, the unlimited texting add-on was removed. Right now the only way to get unlimited texting is to switch to a newer plan
The problem with the current plans is that thy are SUPER-punitive if you go over your data limit. I have the old Data Heavyweight add on, and I'm not giving it up unless I switch carriers (which might well happen now).

I spent $120 on texting fees last year, but it's still about $200 cheaper using my old plan, based on data overage rates on the new plans.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
The problem with the current plans is that thy are SUPER-punitive if you go over your data limit. I have the old Data Heavyweight add on, and I'm not giving it up unless I switch carriers (which might well happen now).

I spent $120 on texting fees last year, but it's still about $200 cheaper using my old plan, based on data overage rates on the new plans.

THe key is to find a data plan that doesnt result in overage. Unless your monthly usage fluctuates extremely wildly
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
If you don't mind burning thru data, you could investigate an alternative texting app such as Text Free, though any of those come with other inconveniences.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Im curious. What plan do you have and how much are you paying for Data add-on for how many MB/GB?
My current basic plan is $40/month and includes the $15 data heavyweight, which bumps me to about 2GB. I don't have unlimited calling, just family members plus evenings and weekends. I barely use my minutes as it is.

Data overage is a great deal, tho. I think it's about $10/GB /month (rather than $100/GB/month under the current scheme). I can't look it up tho, as Koodo seems to have erased all mention of it, except on my bill (where it is not explained in detail). So the month last year I used 9GB instead of 500 MB, I was charged about $110. Under current plans with 4/6/8 GB limits, that would have cost more than $350.

Really, what I mostly want is data, but I can't convince my kids or wife to send email instead of texting me.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
My current basic plan is $40/month and includes the $15 data heavyweight, which bumps me to about 2GB. I don't have unlimited calling, just family members plus evenings and weekends. I barely use my minutes as it is.

Data overage is a great deal, tho. I think it's about $10/GB /month (rather than $100/GB/month under the current scheme). I can't look it up tho, as Koodo seems to have erased all mention of it, except on my bill (where it is not explained in detail). So the month last year I used 9GB instead of 500 MB, I was charged about $110. Under current plans with 4/6/8 GB limits, that would have cost more than $350.

With shock free data you could buy data in 300mb and 1gb increments too, not just at the pay per use overage rates
https://www.koodomobile.com/help/shock-free-data
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
$10/GB overage rate is great.
(Data top up give you $22/GB)

How often do you go over your data limit and how much?
If you spend average $10/mo extra for texts, you are paying $65/month?
Current $65 plan gives you 6GB, unlimited talk.
Or $70 with 8GB, 500min. And all plans including unlimited text, so no more overage for it.
Im trying to think what would be the best option for you. Switching plan or pay for lower data overage + texts...
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Plus what's your overage for texting?

Do the math and see which is better. If it means shopping around and you have to go else where, then I respect that too
OK, I did up a nice spreadsheet. Over the last 12 months under my current plan, I paid $720 for talk and data (incl. data overages using the old Data Heavyweight plan), plus another $120 for texting. Yes, $120 for texting. So a total of $840. My median data usage was just under 3GB, and my max was 9.1GB.

With the same data usage, here's what I would have paid with the current plans over 12 months, assuming I bought my first 1GB of data for $22, then paid $10/100 MB for the remaining overage (as per the shock free data page):

current plan: $840 (what I paid, incl. data and texting overages)

4GB $50/month: $1444
6GB $60/month: $1142
8GB $70/month: $1062
10GB $80/month: $ 960 (there would have been no data overage! with this plan)

So BIG BIG savings by NOT switching to a new plan, and still paying $120 for texting.

I find the shock-free is kinda shocking. Only the first GB is a reasonable deal, beyond that you're paying $100/GB. So if you are like me, and sometimes have a monster data usage month, shock free data isn't a good deal unless you over provision by buying MUCH more data than you need 90% of the time.

So, since there's no reason to switch other than being annoyed at the usurious texting fees (which cost telcos basically zero, once the infrastructure is paid for). So maybe I try to convince my friends to (gasp) use Facebook messenger or another data-based app.

So naively, I would have expected:
(a) Koodo would offer an unlimited texting option for older plans
(b) that you can keep buying as many 1GB chunks as you like for $22 under Shock Free Data
Either would make me reasonably happy, but neither is true. OK time to scope some plans from other mobile telcos.. We've been with Koodo for several years, but their old advantages are mostly gone.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
"4GB $50/month: $1444
8GB $70/month: $1062"

@flurble : How did you get these numbers for a year?
$50x12 = $600 (+tax = $672)...
$60x12 = $720
$70x12 = $840
The difference is the data overages, based on my actual usage last year. I had two months of >=4GB (one 5.5GB and one 9.1GB). The numbers do not include tax.

4GB $50/month: $600 + $844 (data overage) = $1444
6GB $60/month: $720 + $422 (data overage) = $1142
8GB $70/month: $840 + $222 (data overage) = $1062
10GB $80/month: $ 960 + $0 (data overage) = $960

I calculates the overages as $22 for the first GB, and $100 for each further GB, as per details on https://www.koodomobile.com/help/shock-free-data
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
But you mentioned your average usage was 3.1GB, how did you get an overage of $844? are you saying you need 10GB?

Your average usage was 3.1GB, you went to 9.1GB in some months. So a new benchmark of your average was 10GB? if you used 10GB/month, with your current plan, the price would be super expensive. You would have to pay 40 + 8x10 = $120/month for 10 GB. and 120x12 = $1440/year + extra text charges.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Each extra GB is $22....if you went 2GB over it would be $44 and so on...
Below is what the web page says. My interpretation on the last two sentences is that you can only buy an extra GB for $22 once per billing cycle; after that, you go onto the normal overage rate of $100/GB. Did I misinterpret it? Has anyone purchased two GB chunks of overage in a month and was charged only $44 in total?

===
You can top up your data directly from your Koodo phone with these two options:
  1. Reply with keyword “YES” to 5337 to use your plan’s data pay-per-use rate.
  2. Reply with keyword “12YES” to add 300MB of data top-up for $12 and “22YES” to add 1GB of data top-up for $22
If you buy data and use it all up, it will be paused again. You can choose to continue using your data, but you’ll be charged your plan’s data pay-per-use rate.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Each extra GB is $22....if you went 2GB over it would be $44 and so on...
He mentioned he got $10 for 1GB overage.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Each extra GB is $22....if you went 2GB over it would be $44 and so on...He mentioned he got $10 for 1GB overage.

In the last post he was saying that he thought you went into the normal $10/100MB or $100/GB after the first $22/GB top up which is wrong. You can buy the $22 top ups up to 6 times I believe.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Really, what I mostly want is data, but I can't convince my kids or wife to send email instead of texting me.

@Allan M : that was what he posted about his current plan.

The information in the last post was about the current "in-market plan" overage fee.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Each extra GB is $22....if you went 2GB over it would be $44 and so on...He mentioned he got $10 for 1GB overage.
In the last post he was saying that he thought you went into the normal $10/100MB or $100/GB after the first $22/GB top up which is wrong. You can buy the $22 top ups up to 6 times I believe.

I remember seeing that the 1GB can be purchased up to 6 times too. But I dont know where I saw it.

But note that you will also be at risk to this overage rate changing over time too, where your $10/gb pay per use overage rate on your grandfathered plan wont change.

Again, koodo no longer offers the texting add-on, so there is nothing we can do about that.
Honestly I would keep your current plan. I personally noticed that I text less and less now and most of my friends are on messenger or whats app.
I would try to convince them with things like group chat or the "show my location feature" so when you and your friends are meeting up, they know how far you are from the meeting location (ideal when you are late since you shouldnt be texting updates while driving any ways)
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Below is what the web page says. My interpretation on the last two sentences is that you can only buy an extra GB for $22 once per billing cycle; after that, you go onto the normal overage rate of $100/GB. Did I misinterpret it? Has anyone purchased two GB chunks of overage in a month and was charged only $44 in total?

===
You can top up your data directly from your Koodo phone with these two options:
  1. Reply with keyword “YES” to 5337 to use your plan’s data pay-per-use rate.
  2. Reply with keyword “12YES” to add 300MB of data top-up for $12 and “22YES” to add 1GB of data top-up for $22
If you buy data and use it all up, it will be paused again. You can choose to continue using your data, but you’ll be charged your plan’s data pay-per-use rate.

Yea, he asked at the end of that first paragraph has anyone purchased two GB chunks of overage and was charged only $44.
I was replying to that in saying yes, that's what happens on those plans.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
"4GB $50/month: $1444
8GB $70/month: $1062"

@flurble : How did you get these numbers for a year?
$50x12 = $600 (+tax = $672)...
$60x12 = $720
$70x12 = $840

$50x12 + 6x$22 = $732 (one instance of 9 GB consumption + one of 5 GB)
$60x12 + 3x$22 = $786 (one instance of 9GB consumption)
Plus taxes in both instances.
Peace of mind = priceless.
Of course, if you know which month will have the high consumption, you could change plans for that month, and reduce your plan to a lower GB plan when done.
$50x10 + 70x2 = $640
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Or even (at worst):
$50x10 + $70x2 + (possibly) $22 = $662
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Or
$50x10 + $70 + $80 = $650