Koodo Community

Community

Question

2 different phones stopped connecting to home wifi?!

I have 2 phones a Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime (have had over a year) and an LG G4 (just a few weeks old), they would both connect to my home wifi until 2 days ago and now neither of them will, they can't even find the network, just keep searching. They connect to other networks just fine. It is not my router or anything as all other devices and tablets work as always. How do I fix this without a factory reset? I think I have tried everything.

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi Tammy, Just because everything else connects fine doesn't mean it's not the router. Interference could be causing the issue or just a software glitch with the router. Pull the power cord off the router and wait five seconds and plug it back in. The router could take a few moments to come back to life so be patient. Make sure to restart both phones as well. Report back your finding please. Good luck, Chad
Chad Burr wrote:

Hi Tammy, Just because everything else connects fine doesn't mean it's not the router. Interf...

I tried that with no luck. But thank you and any more suggestions are welcome.
Userlevel 7
Chad Burr wrote:

Hi Tammy, Just because everything else connects fine doesn't mean it's not the router. Interf...

Do you know if your router supports pushbutton wps?

If so have you tried connecting that way?
Userlevel 5
I would suggest removing the connection from your phones ( Go to your wifi settings on your phones and selecting "Forget Network") and try to connect again
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Daniel Hryb wrote:

I would suggest removing the connection from your phones ( Go to your wifi settings on your phone...

If your router supports displaying an active client list and reservations in the DHCP panel, check if your phones are listed and give them a fixed address reservation. Then repeat Daniel's suggestion to forget and re-connect.
Daniel Hryb wrote:

I would suggest removing the connection from your phones ( Go to your wifi settings on your phone...

Have done these things too and no luck... Weirdest thing ever. My iPad, android box, laptop, and PS3 are all able to connect.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Daniel Hryb wrote:

Do your two phones connect to other internet connections fine? If so then it is most likely a problem with your internet and not your phone.
Daniel Hryb wrote:

Yes they do they even try to connect to cars driving by that have wifi.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Daniel Hryb wrote:

Have you ever updated your router's firmware?
Daniel Hryb wrote:

Other people have been over and able to connect to my internet with no problem since this started 3 days ago and like I said everything else connects just fine and runs like always.
Daniel Hryb wrote:

Just did the factory reset on the LG and nothing except using up most of my data reloading it... And i stopped it from downloading anything unnecessary.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Daniel Hryb wrote:

But what about the router? I'd advise you to factory reset the router and update its firmware (if an update is available).

I'm 99% certain that this is a router issue. I had it happen before where certain devices just refused to connect to it. Twice the problem was resolved by factory resetting the router, and once there was no solution - I ended up buying a new router and that one worked fine.

If you have an all-in-one modem/router, I'd advise you to get a dedicated router and put the all-in-one into bridge mode to serve as modem only.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Daniel Hryb wrote:

If you aren't comfortable and/or are using the isp provided router you may want to contact them and get them to send someone out to fix the problem for you.