I’m sad

Nokia 520 - No Internet Sharing?

Got the 520 about a month ago. Like it fine, but there's no Internet Sharing. My previous Nokia 710, a Windows 7.5 phone, had it.

Every indication I find on the web is that it should be in the same place - Settings->Internet Sharing. Don't have that option.

Has Koodo removed it entirely? I've come across some users of different carriers where it doesn't work due to the carrier blocking it, but haven't seen anyone complain that the option doesn't even exist.
1 person has
this question
+1
  • Are you wanting to share your files over the network or use the phone as a wireless hotspot?
  • (some HTML allowed)
    How does this make you feel?
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned happy, confident, thankful, excited sad, anxious, confused, frustrated

• If you mean creating a hot spot with your Koodo Nokia 520 I don't believe it has that feature & if it does I can't find it either and I just looked through the entire phone and even checked if it's a downloadable feature and didn't find anything there either.
    • view 9 more comments
    • Are you kidding me? Is a lack of an equalizer a deal breaker for a $150 device? If it had everything, then what would be the point of buying higher end models.
    • Uh, who in the heck said it was a "deal breaker"? I own it and will continue to do so, it's a great phone overall for the price and my second Nokia windows model - but It *is* a ridiculous omission in this day and age.

Relegating any form of tonal control to "high end" models is nonsense. As mentioned, any cheap-ass Android phone can download one, my old BB curve had preset tonal controls, 30$ MP3 players have them - christ my ancient Sony dumbphone had a full equalizer. It is not a high-end feature and hasn't been so for the good part of a decade on any piece of digital music listening equipment.

When you're struggling to break past Blackberry in marketshare you don't relegate standard features that the competition has had for years for some form of upsell. Windows Phone is struggling to *match* the pace of its competitors in feature sets and apps, it needs to be ahead of them to dig out the hole its in.

Giving Nokia a break, perhaps the problem is that MS is leaving it up to OEM's in the first place. This should be a part of the Xbox music app from the get-go, especially when MS controls the baseline hardware specs.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned happy, confident, thankful, excited sad, anxious, confused, frustrated

• A wireless hotspot. Windows Phone 8 can do this, other 520's have this, plenty of people using it in the US from my searching - but on my 520 from Koodo, it's apparently missing. Nokia is not blocking this feature that I'm aware of.

Yeah, 'ouch' is being gentle. Especially considering the now largely-deprecated WinPhone 7.8 platform had it with an equally low-end phone on Rogers.

Really hope this isn't a Koodo removal and this is a quirk that can be fixed.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. kidding, amused, unsure, silly happy, confident, thankful, excited indifferent, undecided, unconcerned sad, anxious, confused, frustrated

• Says right on the spec sheet (Nokia Canada) that the Nokia 520 can handle up to eight Wi-Fi enabled devices under the heading Browsing and Internet, sub-heading PMDM Wi-Fi Hotspot. I'm assuming you purchased the Nokia 520 from Koodo and not from a third-party re-seller.

The reason I say this is because there have been a rash of fake Nokia's floating around out there (more so with higher end Nokia's) and there are several ways to rule out whether your device is a fake or not.

1). Dial *#06# this will bring up your IMEI number. Click on the link below and enter the IMEI number into the box. Please do not publish your findings other than to say that the country of approval matches.

http://www.numberingplans.com/?page=a...

2). All new Nokia phones respond to the code *#7780# entered on the dialpad by asking you to confirm that you want to revert to factory settings and asking you for a lock code. If the phone you're looking at doesn't do this then it's not a Nokia.

3). If the phone is a "Chinese version" then it almost certainly is a fake. Nokia does have a production facility in China so "Made in China" isn't complete grounds for rejection, but the "Chinese version" is. While it's true that there are genuine "Chinese" versions, they have neither WiFi nor 3G capability as demanded by the Chinese government.

4). Plug the phone into the USB port of your computer with the provided cable. There's no need to install any software on your laptop, all you want to see is how the phone reacts. A genuine Nokia phone, when connected to a USB port, will give you the options "Default mode", "Printing" and "Data storage" for some models and "PC Suite", "Mass storage", "Image transfer" and "Media transfer" for others, or combinations thereof. Options frequently seen on fakes and never on genuine Nokia's include "webcam" and "comport". If the phone you're looking at displays either of these two options then it's definitely a fake.

5).Finally, try and get the firmware version currently installed in the phone. From the dialpad, enter *#0000# There's no way to formally validate the information you'll see, but one thing that is indicative of a fake is the date of the firmware revision in American format, MM-DD-YYYY, "02-22-2007" for example. If you're unsure, note down exactly what you see and contact Nokia Canada via email.

If everything checks out okay, it might be worth your while to head into a Koodo shop, (or any place that sells the Nokia 520 for that matter) and ask to see another Nokia 520 to confirm whether the new device exhibits the same problem or not.

If you find that the Internet Sharing/Hotspot feature works on other Nokia 520's, then I think it might be in your best interest to return the device where purchased and exchange it for one that has the feature that works.

It's not a repair issue, the phone is missing software that is otherwise advertised both by Koodo and the manufacturer to work with all Nokia 520's sold here in Canada.

Nokia 520 Specifications:

http://www.nokia.com/ca-en/products/p...

Koodo/Nokia 520 specifications: Click on image to enlarge it.

• view 5 more comments
    • Rikkster thanks for that, but are those guides applicable to Windows Phone or is it just a general guide for previous Nokia's?

None of those codes from the dialpad work, and plugging it into the Windows host just downloads the drivers from Windows Update and opens up an Explorer view, giving you a link to download the sync app - exactly as it should. The options you're describing sound like an old Nokia dumbphone, not a modern Windows phone with mass storage support.

edit: Said "MTP" support previously- that's the old method, mass storage is one of the ways Win8 syncing changed.
    • Rikkster, thanks for that - however are you sure that guide applies to modern Lumia WIndows smart phones from Nokia?

None of those codes work, as well plugging it into my PC just downloads the drivers from Windows Update and opens up an explorer view with a link to download the WP8 sync software, exactly as it should. The options you're describing sound like an old Nokia dumbphone and not an MTP-supported Windows 8 model.

And yes this was purchased directly from Koodo.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. kidding, amused, unsure, silly happy, confident, thankful, excited indifferent, undecided, unconcerned sad, anxious, confused, frustrated

• Haha I found a workaround for now guys. Download an app from the app store called "LUMINA PUSHER". Then after its installed open it up (it will be in your app list) and click on "ACCESS POINT" and then INSTALL IT. Then exit that app and go to your phones settings menu. Scroll to the bottom and find a new setting called "ACCESS POINT" & click on it. It will give you a list of a few carriers, choose yours which would be KOODO. Wait until it says "ACTIVE" instead of inactive like it did before you pressed it. Then exit back to your settings menu and the 4th option down will now be "INTERNET SHARING" Ta data ;-)
    Press it and turn on Internet sharing and it will give you a unique password you'll type into the device you are trying to connect to your Nokia.

I hope this helps you guys :-)
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned sad, anxious, confused, frustrated happy, confident, thankful, excited

• I am having the same issue. I tried using the Lumia pusher and now have the internet sharing heading but when I try to turn it on it says it can't detect my data connection. Any other ideas?
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I have same issue with a lumia 920 and 928. Put in Virgin sim and worked.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• "It will give you a list of a few carriers, choose yours which would be KOODO" Does not show KOODO....... What gives? HELP!!
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I use all the steps given and go into settings, access point and then when I get into access point all it shows is the At&t network. It is active, that's the only one in there. Is there supposed to be KOODO in there too.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I have no Hot spot access on my phone. Lumina 520. I can not use for wifi on tablet. Does not show...... on lists of networks on other devices. Please forgive that I am a newb!
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I assume that your 520 was purchased elsewhere and not from Koodo? Try to re-install the Access Point system app (instructions here: http://mobilemasters.koodomobile.com/...). You may have to perform a factory reset (remember to back up your data if you choose to do so).
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm